13 Sep Details on Dentures For a Younger Look
Missing teeth can have several disadvantages, but dentures can help. Eating, speaking or cleaning may be difficult, and you may feel embarrassed when you smile. Hicks Dental Group (located in Prescott, Arizona) is experienced at treating these issues through cosmetic dentistry services and great dentures. We can offer you an improvement in your quality of life, and allow you to enjoy the benefits of a full set of teeth!
What are Dentures?
Dentures are a replacement for missing teeth, allowing you to have improved daily functions that many take for granted. You have the flexibility to take them in and out when needed for comfort or cleaning. Dentures are created from custom fit impressions made from your teeth, and with tooth colored material to give you a natural fit and feel.
Types of Dentures
There are essentially two types of dentures. Your dentist can help you determine what is best for you. The types include:
- Full Dentures: A base fits over your gums and covers the roof of your mouth. The lower half is horseshoe-shaped to align with the bottom teeth in order to accommodate your tongue.
- Partial Dentures: A metal framework is attached to your natural teeth, which the partial dentures rest on. This can be a removable alternative to bridges.
Care of Dentures
Dentures can be a long-lasting solution to lost or damaged teeth. They will need regular check-ups to ensure no movement has taken place, and may need to be realigned with your mouth over time. The best way to ensure your dentures last a long time is to take good care of them. Tips for effective care include:
- Ensuring your dentures are continually soaked in cleansing solution or plain water (not hot water) to keep them from drying out.
- Be careful when handling them, as they are delicate.
- Daily clean your dentures by brushing them to diminish possibility of staining or plaque build-up.
- Regularly see your dentist for check-ups, realignment, adjustment and to fix cracks or chips.
Dentures can be very beneficial to your daily functioning, as well as to your confidence in smiling. They are as important to care for as for your natural teeth.
Contact Hicks Dental Group today to learn more about how dentures can not only help you with daily functioning, but how they can also help you look younger!
Images used under creative commons license – commercial use (9/12/2017) Kathy McGraw (Flickr)